Saturday, June 18, 2011

Roadtrip to Blacksburg

This past week a few of us girls went to Virginia to see our sweet husbands who were working so hard in Blacksburg, Virginia. We've been living in North Carolina since the summer began but will be making to move to the state for lovers this weekend for some new turf for the boys to knock in. The 2-hour drive from Greensboro to Blacksburg is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm pretty sure I would love all of my drives to be that beautiful. After the first night in the dark, dirty hotel room, I was scared of what the week would hold, but thanks to Megan's research we found some incredible things that brought our faces (and appetites) much happiness.
After navigating our way around Virginia Tech Campus, we found the most amazing sandwich joint called the Sycamore Deli that we may or may not have eaten at every day we were in Blacksburg. The menu covers nearly an entire wall, and is made up of names that consumed my attention for at least 20 minutes, until I realized I wasn't reading the ingredients in the sandwiches but just their names. I mean, how can you resist wanting to try a sandwich called the hot stripper? Well, sadly I did, but I'm pretty sure we'll be making more trips down to Sycamore Deli. My favorite choice was the Tugboat - BBQ pulled pork and macaroni & cheese on a toasted sub...it was incredible.
We also happened to find a little farmer's market down the street that had deliciously colorful produce, adorable little bottles filled with homemade vinegars & oils, and fresh-baked bread sold by a cute old man with a mustache giving me suspicious eyes as I tried to get a picture of him without him noticing. It didn't work. Haha, but I love the look on his face.
The little babes: Brooklyn catching bubbles and Jack (who wasn't feeling so hot)
Me, Megan & Paige

And my favorite, FAVORITE, favorite, part of the trip was tubing down the New River Junction. I only have a picture of us all before we went down the river because I couldn't exactly bring my camera down the river, but it was more because it was a complete blast and I just forgot to. It was a nice, relaxing float (the water wasn't much deeper than my knees for most of it), and it was just so fun to just enjoy it with some friends and - the best part were the rapids at the end of it...we went down those a few times. All in all, it was a great week and I hope we have many more adventures the rest of the summer!
Paige, Laur (& Jack), Shaylee (& Brooklyn), Me & Paige

Can't wait for some more Virginia adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are so pretty! You make those potatoes look delicious, and I don't even really like potatoes. I'm glad you're having some awesome adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah LOVE it!!! so much fun! I like how i made it in the last picture 2 times :) this sums it up beautifully. I may or may not have to lend that tubing pic to myself. You are the best. It's weird not knowing where your room is. Oh well. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete