Thursday, July 9, 2009

a south dakota 4th of july

For the 4th of July this year, Adam and I got to visit his mom's hometown in Wessington Springs, South Dakota...population 1011. It was Grandma Schwartz's 90th birthday, and we were able to get together for the weekend with Adam's family...minus Papa Beck :( It was a really special trip because we were able to see Adam's Aunt Cheryl, who was recently diagnosed with cancer, and spend some time with her while she visited. She hasn't been given very much time to live, so it was important for us to make sure we get out there and see her.

Most of our time was spent sleeping, eating, and lighting off fireworks - I'm not gonna lie...there's not much to do in Wessington Springs, so you have to get creative with your time. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely loved the trip. The speed of life goes so much slower, you just have to adjust to it. I think we're so used to having to speed up, that when we get the chance to sit back and let it slow down...we don't really know what to do. There was no rush hour, there's only one grocery store, and life is just seems to roll at a much slower pace. We went to the town 4th of July parade which consisted of decorated golf carts, old men on motorcycles, and every police car and firetruck the town had to offer...one guy was even cruising on his rascal scooter. It definitely wasn't the longest parade I ever went to, but definitely one of the most memorable.












1 comment:

  1. did you really take those pictures?? seriously!! any tips on a good camera?? Sounds like my kind of town. :)

    ReplyDelete